Sudan: US urges ceasefire in talks
US Secretary of State Anthony Blanken has told the leaders of Sudan’s warring factions that they must ensure the safety of civilians. At least 285 people have been killed and more than 1,800 injured in the fighting so far.
The US State Department said on Tuesday (April 18) that Secretary of State Anthony Blanken held talks with leaders of rival armed forces in Sudan and called for an immediate ceasefire. State Department spokesman Vedant Patel said Blanken “expressed deep concern at the death and injury of so many Sudanese nationals as a result of sustained and indiscriminate fighting,” Patel said in a statement. The ceasefire, “will allow Sudanese families to be reunited, along with the delivery of humanitarian aid to those affected by the conflict.” It will also help ensure a secure presence of the international community in Khartoum.’ Clashes erupted late Saturday between forces loyal to the head of Sudan’s Transitional Government’s Autonomous Council, Abdul Fattah al-Barhan, and forces loyal to the head of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Mohamed Hamdan Daglu, which is still ongoing. Vedant Patel said Antony Blanken during the conversation “reminded both generals of their responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of civilians, diplomatic staff and humanitarian workers.” ‘. “We reiterate our unwavering commitment to the protection of innocent civilians in the areas under our control,” Mohammad Hamdan Daglu wrote on Twitter after their conversation.
However, he did not say whether he would stick to a possible ceasefire or not. On the other hand, Abdul Fattah Al Burhan has not spoken publicly since Saturday afternoon. On Saturday, he blamed the attack on the RSF and insisted that the situation was under their control
At least 185 people have been killed and more than 1,800 injured in three days of fighting between rival factions in the country, according to Volker Perthes, the UN special representative for Sudan.
“It’s a very unclear situation, so it’s very difficult to say which way the balance is shifting,” Volker Perthes said on Monday of the violence between the army and paramilitary forces led by rival generals. ”
Group of Seven’s surrender appeal
Meanwhile, the Group of Seven has also called for a ceasefire, demanding an immediate end to hostilities. Meanwhile, the United Nations has also demanded an immediate stop to the fighting.
US Secretary of State Anthony Blanken is attending the Group of Seven meeting in Japan, where he spoke to Burhan and Daglu separately by phone and stressed the urgency of reaching a ceasefire.
On Tuesday, South Korea’s foreign ministers also condemned the fighting in a joint statement, saying, “We urge the parties to immediately end hostilities without any preconditions.” There have been calls to return to the side and de-escalate tensions.
Egypt supports Sudan’s military, while Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have maintained close ties with the RSF, which has sent thousands of fighters to support the war in Yemen. Both these groups have also demanded a ceasefire
Al-Sisi denied meddling in the conflict
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said in a statement late Monday that Egypt’s army in Sudan is only there to conduct exercises with its Sudanese counterparts and does not support any of the warring parties.
It should be noted that after the clashes broke out in Sudan, RSF shared a video showing Egyptian soldiers “laying down their arms” in front of them in the northern town of Meroy.
El-Sisi also said that Egypt is in constant contact with the Sudanese army and the RSF to encourage them to reach a ceasefire agreement.